Current:Home > ScamsRobert Brown|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TruePath Finance
Robert Brown|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 11:13:32
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Robert Brownagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Bill requiring safe storage of firearms set to become law in Rhode Island
- How Amy Robach's Parents Handled Gut Punch of Her Dating T.J. Holmes After Her Divorce
- Sale and use of marijuana permitted under ordinance Cherokees in North Carolina approved
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- For $12, This Rotating Organizer Fits So Much Makeup in My Bathroom & Gives Cool Art Deco Vibes
- A real nut case: Cold Stone Creamery faces suit over lack of real pistachios in pistachio ice cream
- After attempted bribe, jury reaches verdict in case of 7 Minnesotans accused of pandemic-era fraud
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Kevin Jonas' 10-Year-Old Daughter Alena Hilariously Dresses Up as Him, Complete With a Wig
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- United States men's national soccer team friendly vs. Colombia: How to watch, rosters
- Cliff divers ready to plunge 90 feet from a Boston art museum in sport’s marquee event
- Nick Cannon Has His Balls Insured for $10 Million After Welcoming 12 Kids
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- As Another Hot Summer Approaches, 80 New York City Neighborhoods Ranked Highly Vulnerable to Heat
- Soda company recalls drinks sold at restaurants for chemicals, dye linked to cancer: FDA
- Q&A: As Temperatures in Pakistan Top 120 Degrees, There’s Nowhere to Run
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Caitlin Clark's next game: How to watch Indiana Fever at Washington Mystics on Friday
Captain Sandy Yawn's Pride Month Message Will Help LGBTQIA+ Fans Navigate Rough Waters
Documents reveal horror of Maine’s deadliest mass shooting
Travis Hunter, the 2
Starship splashes down for first time in 4th test: See progression of the SpaceX flights
Get Your Summer Essentials at Athleta & Save Up to 60% off, Plus an Extra 30% on New Sale Styles
New Jersey businessman cooperating with prosecutors testifies at Sen. Bob Menendez’s bribery trial